Fixing Qmail 451 qq temporary problem (#4.3.0) / @4000000050587780174c60dc status: qmail-todo stop processing asap / status: exiting

I’m in process of installing plain new Qmail mail (SMTP) server following QmailRocks updated: Thibs QmailRocks install guide for Debian 6.0 Squeeze
The install went smoothly so far and I’m already doing this installation for about 5 hours or so. I’m done with the minor install and following Thibs instructions to Implement validrcptto feature to Qmail.

Anyone who works with Qmail, should already know the lack of validrcptto tons of SPAM problems and useless Qmail load, because of QMAIL attempts to delivery to the local mail server unexisting mail boxes ….


Fixing this whole mess is implemented with the validrcptto. I myself has installed numerous times validrcptto and almost ever I ended up in some kind of mess before fixing it once and for all, this time of course (quite traditionally) the “story” repeated to piss me off for a while 🙂

After following steps literally as described on Thibs great Qmail install tutorial!, I ended up with a Qmail mail server unable to deliver properly e-mails.

To debug why mails are not properly delivered by the mail server I used telnet:


root@qmail-host:/var/qmail/control# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 This is Mail Pc-Freak.NET ESMTP
HELO localhost
250 This is Mail Pc-Freak.NET
MAIL FROM:<hipo@pc-freak.net>
250 ok
RCPT TO:<hipo@pc-freak.net>
250 ok
DATA
354 go ahead
asdfdsfafsd
.
451 qq temporary problem (#4.3.0)

Some time, back while configuring another Qmail fresh install, I ended up with exactly same delivery error – I’ve take time to document how I fixed this weird qq temporary issue here

As I thought one error in “normal” Software can correspondent to one cause, I red my previous post and checked closely all that was in past wrong whether I encountered the err; guess what this time it wasn’t due to non-running (missing) clamav-daemon. Still though this was not the issue, it partially pointed me to the cause (problem with qmail-scanner.pl / spamd /pyzor / razor / dcc or whatever of this overall complexity ..).

First logical think was to check in logs. In /var/log/qmail/qmail-smtpd/current everything was looking good; my log looked like so:


root@qmail-host:/# tail -n 10 /var/log/qmail/qmail-smtpd/current
@40000000505877b91ab3aba4 tcpserver: end 23727 status 0
@40000000505877b91ab3af8c tcpserver: status: 0/30
@40000000505877f6273acefc tcpserver: status: 1/30
@40000000505877f6273ba9bc tcpserver: pid 23882 from 127.0.0.1
@40000000505877f6273f8dd4 tcpserver: ok 23882 mail.pc-freak.net:127.0.0.1:25 localhost:127.0.0.1::46769
@40000000505877fd1a3c647c qmail-smtpd[23882]: MFCHECK pass [127.0.0.1] pc-freak.net
@40000000505877fd1a3c935c qmail-smtpd[23882]: MAIL FROM:
@400000005058780123ba5eb4 qmail-smtpd[23882]: RCPT TO:

@4000000050587ccd179210b4 tcpserver: end 23882 status 256
@4000000050587ccd1792149c tcpserver: status: 0/30
root@qmail-host:/# tail -n 5 /var/log/qmail/qmail-smtpd/current
@40000000505877fd1a3c647c qmail-smtpd[23882]: MFCHECK pass [127.0.0.1] pc-freak.net

Second guess was to check in /var/log/qmail/qmail-send/current, there found errors like:


root@qmail-host:/# tail -n 10 /var/log/qmail/qmail-send/current
@4000000050584f8e0b799194 status: local 0/10 remote 0/120
@4000000050584f8e0b79957c end msg 9610091
@4000000050584fde2f5ebf44 status: qmail-todo stop processing asap
@4000000050584fde2f5ec32c status: exiting
@4000000050584fde32d2a884 status: local 0/10 remote 0/120
@4000000050584fe8136a44ac status: qmail-todo stop processing asap
@4000000050584fe8136a4894 status: exiting
@4000000050584fe8138b884c status: local 0/10 remote 0/120
@4000000050585014232903c4 status: qmail-todo stop processing asap
@4000000050585014232907ac status: exiting
@40000000505850142363e5fc status: local 0/10 remote 0/120
@40000000505851030773efa4 status: qmail-todo stop processing asap
@40000000505851030774320c status: exiting
@400000005058510307b5f214 status: local 0/10 remote 0/120

s you can see yourself, the errors are not giving any insight on what could be the reason, so I checked in /var/log/mail.log, just to find more errors there:


Sep 18 16:22:04 qmail-host qmail-scanner-queue.pl: X-Qmail-Scanner-2.10st:[pcfreak134797452279623171]

d_m: output spotted from /usr/bin/reformime -x/var/spool/qscan/tmp/qmail-host/I134797452279623171/ (sh: /usr/bin/reformime: not found#012) - that shouldn't happen!

As the error points out, the whole issues are caused by missing binary – /usr/bin/reformime. Logically I had to install reformime, so did a quick apt-cache search reformime and saw reformime is part of maildrop deb package. I thought it is installed but after checking with:


dpkg -a |grep -i maildrop

Realized it is missing and install it:


qmail-host:/# apt-get --yes install maildrop
....

That’s all after a qmail restart, i.e.:


qmail-host:/# qmailctl restart
* Stopping qmail-smtpdssl.
* Stopping qmail-smtpd.
* Sending qmail-send SIGTERM and restarting.
* Restarting qmail-smtpd.
* Restarting qmail-smtpdssl.
* Restarting qmail-pop3d.

qq temporary error got solved and from there on qmail received and sent mails normally with validrcptto enabled. Cheers 😉

Share this on

More helpful Articles

Download PDFDownload PDF

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

One Response to “Fixing Qmail 451 qq temporary problem (#4.3.0) / @4000000050587780174c60dc status: qmail-todo stop processing asap / status: exiting”

  1. Thibs says:
    Firefox 15.0.1 Firefox 15.0.1 Windows 7 x64 Edition Windows 7 x64 Edition
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1

    Thanks for this this 😉

    View CommentView Comment

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge