Configuring some Virtualhosts on a Debian server I administrate has led me to a really shitty problem. The problem itself consisted in that nomatter what kind of the configured VirtualHosts on the server I try to access the default one or the first one listed among Virtualhosts gets accessed. Believe me such an Apache behaviour is a real pain in the ass! I went through the VirtualHosts configurations many without finding any fault in them, everything seemed perfectly fine there. I started doubting something might prevent VirtualHosts to be served by the Webserver. Therefore to check if VirtualHosts configurations are properly loadedI used the following command:
debian-server:~# /usr/sbin/apache2ctl -S
Guess what, All was perfectly fine there as well. The command returned, my webserver configured VirtualHosts as enabled (linked) in: /etc/apache2/sites-enabled I took some time to ask in irc.freenode.net #debian channel if somebody has encountered the same weirdness, but unfortunately noobody could help there. I thinked over and over the problem and I started experimenting with various stuff in configurations until I got the problem.
The issue with non-working Virtualhosts in Debian lenny was caused by;
wrong NameVirtualHost *:80 directive
Itâ€™s really odd because enabling the directive as NameVirtualHost *:80 would report a warning just like there are more than one NameVirtualHost variable in configuration, on the other hand completely removing it wonâ€™t report any warnings during Apache start/restart but same time VirtualHosts would still be non-working.
So to fix the whole mess-up with VirtualHosts not working I had to modify in; my /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default as follows;
NameVirtualHost *:80 changes toNameVirtualHost *
The rest of the Virtualhost stays the same;
This simple thing eradicated the f*cking issue which tortured me
for almost 3 hours! ghhh