I have one qmail rocks install based on Thibbs Qmalrocks tutorial
I had to do some changes, to:
/etc/service/qmail-smtpd/run and /etc/service/qmail-smtpdssl/run init scripts.
After a qmail restart suddenly qmail stopped receiving any mail messages and my sent messages was returned with an error:
Connected to xx.xxx.xx.xx but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 503 AUTH first (#5.5.1)
After investigating the issue I finally found, that one value I’ve changed in /etc/service/qmail-smtpd/run and /etc/service/qmail-smtpdssl was causing the whole mess:
The problematic variable was:
To solve the issue I had to disable the value which it seems, I have enabled by mistake.
Below is a quote from http://qmail.jms1.net which explains what REQUIRE_AUTH shell variable does:
Setting REQUIRE_AUTH=1 will make the service not accept ANY mail unless the client has sent a valid AUTH command. This also prevents incoming mail from being accepted for your own domains, so do not use this setting if the service is accepting “normal” mail from the outside world.
Restarting via qmailctl restart and qmail started receiving messages normal 😉