Iâ€™ve loosed big time trying to compile ipw3945 on my debian amd64 system running kernel 2.6.30, unfortunately at the endI couldnâ€™t make ipw3945 run correctly. However Iâ€™ll try to explain just in case if somebody out there succeeds in running the ipw3945 driver on kernel 2.6.30. First I needed to compile the ieee80211-1.2.18 subsystem correctly. That gave me a hard time cause the damned thing wonâ€™t compile on my kernel version. Iâ€™ve googled about the solution and had to combine a couple of solutions before I succeed compiling.Here is what was required
1. First in ieee80211.module.c change proc_net for init_net.proc_net.
2. Next change in ieee80211_crypt_wep.c and ieee80211_crypt_tkip.c .page for .page_link
3. Next download ieee80211_wx.c-2.6.27.patch.txt
4. Patch ieee80211-1.2.18 e.g. in my case: # cd /usr/src/ieee80211-1.2.18; patch -p0 < ieee80211_wx.c-2.6.27.patch.txt
5. Overwrite the file ieee80211_crypt_tkip.c in /usr/src/ieee80211-1.2.18 with the following ieee80211_crypt_tkip.c file.
6. Now with Godâ€™s help you might try: # make && make install
Now letâ€™s proceed to the compilation of the ipw3945 driver itself.
Iâ€™ve used the the ipw3945-1.2.2 driver from the Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Driver Website .In kernels newer than 2.6.22 on 64 bit architectures in order to make the driver compile, you have to apply the fix-for-64-bits-2.6.22-onwards.patch patch.
Now enter the ipw3945-1.2.2 source directory and execute patch -p0 < fix-for-64-bits-2.6.22-onwards.patch ,hopefully it should patch correctly.I had to also use the ipw3945-1.2.2.patch patch.
Again patch it with: # patch -p0 < ipw3945-1.2.2.patch.
Next in order to compile it I had to execute: # make IEEE80211_INC=/usr/src/ieee80211-1.2.18 IEEE80211_IGNORE_DUPLICATE=y && make install.Next I have downloaded the ipw3945d-1.7.22 . Untarred the archive file
# tar -zxvf ipw3945d-1.7.22.tgz and last but not least:
# cp -rpf x86_64/ipw3945d /etc/init.d/The ipw3945 loaded correctly with modprobe ipw3945, however the wireless device wasnâ€™t detected â€¦ Even though the failure to make the ipw3945 driver running what I did gave me hope that eventually if I invest some more time and efforts attempting to make it work I could eventually succeed and enjoy the benefits of a better wireless networks signal strengths. Until that happens Iâ€™ll hold up to the newer iwl3945 to use my wireless.ENDâ€”â€“